Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Food for thought: Is RID a certifying body or a professional organization?

Is RID a certifying body or a prefessional organization?

This was the question that the RID Board of Directors presented to the membership at the 2011 National Conference.  While I appreciated the forum as well as the format that allowed extensive audience participation, I was rather disappointed at the relatively small turnout.  The forum was held on the last day of the conference and concurrently with workshops that offered CEUs.  I suspect that the combination for these two factors hindered attendance despite much discussion in the field about the state of RID.

After introductions from the Board of Directors and National Office staff, they presented the RID Philosophy, Mission, and Goal Statements as well as an introduction to the forth-coming Diversity Statement.  The Diversity Council is working on the Diversity Statement, however it is undecided whether it should be a stand-alone statement

After concluding their presentations, the Board of Directors solicited member comments through a series of questions:

-Should RID mention certification in PMGD (Purpose, Mission, Goals, & Diversity Statement)?
-If you had three wishes for RID that could be incorporated in the PMGD statement, what would they be?
-Does the the PMG include room for formalized recognition of the various types of interpreting that occur?
-What do you value about being a member of RID?

Through the course of this discussion, I spoke twice.  Following the first questions, I expressed my concerns that RID was trying to be a certifying body and a professional organizational organization but unfortunately was not doing it well.  During my ITP, I was taught that RID certification was "end all and be all."  While I cannot imagine what it would look like to no longer have RID as the certifying body and professional organization, I am worried that at some point the states will step in and take contol of credentialing interpreters- and in my mind, that is not a step in the right direction.

As we discussed the PMGD statement and how to make the Diversity statement as inclusive as possible, particularly regarding the different modalities we work between (Spoken English, Spoken Spanish, ASL, Signed English, oral transliteration...), I suggested a term that I have repeatedly heard in our profession- "communication facilitators."  Admitedly, I was a little stunned that the next speaker immediately shot down and criticized my suggestion because "faciliate means easy and our job is not easy."  I did not have a chance to respond, however I was thinking about her comment.  Facilitate does mean "to make easy."  While our job is not easy, our job is to make communication easier for our consumers.

For me the most interesting discussion revolved around what we value about being a member of RID.  Our shared history, introspection, relationships, colleagues, unity, support, and networking were consistent themes, with members noting:
     "Iron sharpens iron."
     "As a united front, we have a voice."
     "...opportunity to let our voice shine through."
     "....being apart of something bigger than I am."

Of course the big question still remains: Are we a certifying body? Should we be a credentialing organization?

In time, as our organization grows and evolves, we will be able to answer that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment