Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bucket List

Most people have a bucket list- a list of things to do before they die.  For the past few months, I feel that my career has taken a pause.  While options abound, I am not sure of my next step.  For the first time,  I am not working directly towards a goal.  Graduate from ITP- check. Get an interpreting job- check. Pass the NIC- check.  Complete my MA degree....add to bucket list.

I have been staying very active with my profession as a freelance interpreter and through my work with PCRID and RID.  Now, I am contemplating the next steps.  Admittedly, I love my work but am starting to feel burned out by the commuting and the hussle & bussle that is DC life.  My husband and I are planning to buy a house next spring/ summer, so now seems like an excellent time to evaluate my life priorities and professional goals.

My Bucket List:
-Achieve EIPA and/or OTC certification
-Complete my Masters degree (Obtaining Graduate Certificate in Ethics from George Mason University may be good first step.  I am currently considering Western Oregon University's MA program, however I cannot apply for program until 2013 because of how their program is designed.  It sounds very promising though...)
-Become an Interpreter Trainer
-Publish in the Journal of Interpretation
-Present workshop at VRID and/or PCRID conference
-Present workshop at regional or national conference
-Attend WASLI conference
-Attended Siena School in Italy
-Win lottery so I can complete bucket list ;-)


What is on your bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment