Friday, July 15, 2011

Benefit of blogging

After a series of conversations with several ITP students and novice interpreters, I had the idea to start a blog to share what I have learned during my early years as an interpreter and what I wish I knew "then."

Although I hope that the blog has not lost its originally purpose, it has evolved during the last year.  This blog has provided two unexpected benefits for me.  First, it has provided an outlet for me to process externally as well as express my perspective on the current events in the field.  Secondly, the blog is providing a record of my professional development and encouraging me to continue analysis after leaving the workshop.   Instead of sitting through a workshop and leaving all the new-found knowledge at the door, I can bring it home with me and continue my learning.  As a result, what I have learned is retained better.

In addition to preparing for the 2011 RID National Conference in Atlanta, I also spent time this past week organizing my home office.  As I sorted through papers and re-organized binders, I realized how much I have learned and how much I have forgotten from past workshops and conferences.  Reviewing the conference schedule emphasized how much more I will be able to learn.  Hopefully, by blogging from the conference every day, I can create a resource for myself for the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment