Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolutions and wrap-ups

A new year inevitably marks a new beginning, prompting us to reflect on another year that flew by and make resolutions we probably won't keep.  I wish I could promise to blog every week, but that might be too ambitious...

Looking back....

This past year was more of an adventure than I could have expected.  I am not where I thought I would be, but that's not a bad thing.  In the past year, I passed the NIC, dove into the freelance interpreting world full-time,  served on the PCRID conference committee, joined the VRID board, started a blog, quit graduate school...the list could go on.  On a personal note, my husband and I had to make the difficult decision to put down our dog, Mary, as she battled cancer.  By the year's end, we welcomed a puppy, Sadie, into our home and celebrated his promotion and our three year anniversary.

2010 was certainly a year of lessons learned.  Most significantly, throughout this year, I was reminded of how important it is to take care of yourself.  Too much of my year was spent stressed and burn-out, making the conscious decision to take care of myself and giving myself permission to say "NO" was the best thing I did for myself.

As you may have gathered from previous postings, the PCRID conference was a tremendous learning.  I learned about the conference planning conference and about myself- mostly that the Support Staff Coordinator position needs someone a little more Type A than me.  On the final day of the conference (Day 3), I attended Marc Holmes's "Carpe Prepum," which was a good reminder of the importance of preparation.  My resolution last January was to improve and increase my preparation for interpreting assignments, an area which I continually try to hold myself accountable.

And looking ahead...

I am honestly looking forward to the new year.  2010 was a challenge, while I hope 2011 will be challenging.  Work is going well- I started guaranteed hours with an area agency this week (I get to maintain my freelance status, but receive guaranteed work a few days a week).  Additionally, I am enjoying my work with VRID and am very excited with all the events in the works for this year.

I want to continue to grow as an individual and an interpreter.  We are never done and there is always something new to learn.  At the end of the day, I am thankful to have not only a job that I love, but family and friends that I love as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment