Friday, January 28, 2011

A follow-up discussion on consumer education

A few weeks ago, I wrote my response to the YouTube videos that have taken the Facebook interpreting community by storm.  However, in the past few weeks, I have been reminded that consumer education does not only extend to the hearing participant.  Within the past two weeks, I have had the opportunity to educate both hearing and Deaf consumers about the role of the interpreter, the interpretation process, and Code of Professional Conduct.

One of my ITP professors advised us to have scripts prepared to address potential (and sometimes) common situations.  When the hearing participant asked me a question, I was able to reach in my mental tool box, pull out my script and encourage her to direct that particular question to the Deaf participant, delineating my role as an interpreter, rather than an expert on the Deaf participant.  Another script that I have used repeatedly with hearing individuals, particularly schedulers and points of contact, came in handy with a Deaf consumer- the importance of preparation for assignments.

Although Deaf consumers tend to have more experience with interpreters than many of the hearing consumers we work with, there may be times to educate them as well.  When everyone is on the same page, interpreting assignments are much smoother and the interactions are more successful and effective.  And of course, remember the CPC and demonstrate professionalism and respect for the consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment