Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Who? What? Why?

If you know me, you might be wondering why I am writing a blog.  If you don't know me, you are probably wondering what qualifies me to write a blog.  Yes, I am forever running in Energizer bunny mode, balancing work, school, family, professional commitments, and my social life.  But, if you know me well, you know that I love projects.  This blog is my newest project.  Recently, through several discussions with current and future interpreters, I realized that there is so much that I wish I knew before I started interpreting.  Scratch that.  There is so much that I wish I knew before starting my ITP.  Either way, I have learned a lot in the past few years.

I graduated in 2007 with a dual degree in Interpreting and ASL/ Deaf Studies.  After working as an educational interpreter for a couple of years, I decided to pursue my MA in Interpretation at Gallaudet University.  I had a great job and fantastic co-workers, but there was so much more that I wanted to learn.  So, I took the leap and applied for the MAI program at Gallaudet.  A few months later, I took a bigger leap and dove into the freelance interpreting world in Washington, D.C.  For me, leaving was what was familiar and comfortable seemed like a huge risk.  Attending Gallaudet University and working as a community interpreter terrified me!  Despite my occasional moments of doubt, this was one of the best things that I have done for me.  Through it all, I have learned and grown exponentially.

Within the past year, I completed my first year of graduate school and I accomplished my goal of passing the National Interpreter Certification exam.  I am also the Support Staff Coordinator for the upcoming PCRID conference as well as recently-elected District I representative for VRID.  I thrive by staying busy.  Some days, I cannot believe how far I have come; other days, I remember how far I have to go.  I am a strong believer in life-long learning and professional development.  Everyday there are new challenges and lessons to be learned.  We must all learn for ourselves and learn from others.  I am blessed to have been continually surrounded by fabulous interpreters who have inspired me and helped me on my journey.  This blog is what I have learned from others and experienced first hand in the sign language interpreting field.

No comments:

Post a Comment