Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So what now?

I just started this blog and already I am inexcusably behind.  Sometimes life happens and you just have to go with it.  Due to a series of events (personal and professional), I will be taking a leave of absence from Gallaudet for this upcoming school year.  This feels like an enormous set back, yet I am feeling surprisingly calm about this recent development.  Instantly, I felt a weight being lifted.  There was too much on my plate and too much stress in my life.  Now, I have the opportunity to step back and re-evaluate my personal and professional goals.  But, in my heart, I firmly believe that everything happens for reason, even if I don't know the reason- yet.

The last few weeks have been eye opening for me.  I was reminded of several life lessons and was prepared to write about them, however, I realize that it is one thing to pass on lessons learned and it is another thing to truly live them.  Like the old adage says "it's easier to say than do."  Sometimes, we learn the lesson the first time around, but often times we need to be reminded; then reminded again.

Life Lessons I need to be reminded of (and will be discussing in the coming weeks):
1) Own your work.
2) Take care of yourself- physically, emotionally, and mentally.
3)  Remember the big picture.
4) Never stop learning.

Most importantly, through all of this, I am reminded how bless I am to be surrounded by wonderful family, friends, and colleagues.  I have an amazing, loving husband; a supportive family; and great friends.  Surround yourself with encouraging, supportive people, instead of negativity.  Have people in your life who will meet up at nine o'clock that night because you need to talk or send you a text message wishing you a "Happy Tuesday."  Those are the people you want as your friend and colleague.

Today's lesson?  Surround yourself with people who build you up- not knock you down.

And having a beagle to snuggle up with doesn't hurt either...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. Right on target. A big AMEN!

    ReplyDelete