Tuesday, May 17, 2011

ENFP: Personality and the Interpreting Profession

In eight grade, my homeroom/ science teacher administered the Myers-Briggs personality test.  I am an ENFP:

Extroversion
Intuitive
Feeling
Perceiving

Fast forward to May 2011...I am participating in a small group at my church that is focusing on personality and relationships.  As a prequel to the group, I met with the leader and took the Myers-Briggs assessment for the second time.  As Lauren put it, "personality type does not change with age; however, your job may require you to adopt characteristics of other personality types in order to succeed."  Case in point: I am not a naturally organized person.  I am a big-picture type of girl, who does not naturally focus on the details in life.  However, as a college student and the sign language club secretary (among other activities), then being self-employed and on the board of VRID, I am forced to be organized.  Coordinating the schedules for the support staff at the PCRID conference was a challenge for me.  Can I see my desk? No.  Do I loose my keys on a nearly daily basis?  Yes.  Is my smart-phone my life-line that keeps me organized and get me to work on time?  Absolutely yes.  I am an ENFP, through and though.

But, beside my organizational skills (or lack thereof), what does this mean for my personal and professional lives?  I am constantly seeking external affirmation and wanting to be liked; starting projects with gusto, but not seeing them to completion; loosing track of time; and expressing concern for others .  ENFPs are typically described "rarely complacent" and having "difficulty on one career."  Furthermore, ENFPs "generally find satisfaction and greater rewards in careers that involve human services" (These traits are described in Otto Kroeger's "Type Talk").  Interestingly, it is these characteristics that have allowed me to thrive as a sign language interpreter- the freelance world has given me the variety that I love and this lack of complacency is motivation to engage in professional development and strive to become a better interpreter.

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about team interpreting and what makes or breaks a team.  More specifically, what is that magic element that allows me to succeed or fail with my co-interpreter?  For me (the extrovert), the inter-personal dynamics between myself and my co-interpreter is a critical component and key aspect of my Demand-Control Schema. Our cumulative type can make or break a team, particularly when giving and receiving feedback.  By better understanding our own type and our colleague's type, I would hope that team could function better as a unit, instead of labeling each other as "sensitive," "needing thicker skin," "abrasive," or "inconsiderate."  As interpreters, we are required to constantly adapt to those around us, including our colleagues and consumers.

I am also been wondering if there is a particular Myers-Briggs personality type or trait that draws individuals to the interpreting profession.  Upon further reflection, I am now speculating that particular traits may be drawn to a particular aspect or specialization of interpreting.  Interpreting is an open field, filled with variety, potentially allowing everyone to find their niche.  Personally, I do not enjoy VRS interpreting, however I know some introverts who would consider VRS their first choice.  Likewise, other interpreters have demonstrated a preference for one-on-one settings, community, government, elementary school, platform, theater... Perhaps it is our unique combination of traits that leads to our specialization.


How has your personality type affected your professional life as an interpreter?

6 comments:

  1. I'm an INFP, so that's why we get along! I find the I(ntrovert)part of my personality to be the most challenging because I have had to learn how to be assertive and get used to being around strangers while learning to be an interpreter. I enjoyed having a personality assessment done because I learned about myself and why I get along with some people and not others (that's oversimplifying but it gave me a new perspective that I didn't have before.) Great blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Karen!

    On a side note, last night I learned that it is the NF in me that prefers to avoid conflict. Yet another aspect that affects team interpreting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It occurred to me yesterday that the "people pleasing" aspect of ENFP is probably what has made it challenging for me to advocate for myself. Self-advocacy is certainly a learned skill and not one that came easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your blog post!! I have recently considered interpreting but am not sure if it would be the career for myself, an ENFP. But after reading your article I really think it would fit me well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an ENFP too! I've been on off thinking of going into the interpreting world, but I guess we're all like that :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for your Blog!! I'm 18 and ENFP. I just started studying Interpretation and Translation English/Spanish but I wasn't sure if it was the right choice since i love dynamic in my life and probably as an interpreter I wouldn't be happy (and not have that dynamic) :( but thanks to this blog I'm more sure about my career choice! I'll probably be a freelancer, I think It'll make me happy :') So thank you so much for helping this young soul!!<3

    ReplyDelete