Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Life is what happens when you're busy making plans"

I wish that I had a better excuse for falling behind on my blog (again).   What can I say...life has been a roller coaster this past month.  After much anticipation, this month was over in a flash.  There have been highs and lows, plus more loops that I could have imagined.  I have been challenged personally and professionally, and in retrospect, I can only say that this last month has made me stronger and braver.

I still uncertain about the future and unsure what the next curve will bring.  No decisions have been made about whether I will return to complete my degree.  I am working as a freelance interpreter and loving it (except for the commuting), but applied for a staff position with an agency in an attempt to move forward.  I am still in the application process and owe them a sample of my work and paper application.  However, I am wavering, constantly evaluating the pros and cons of staff positions versus staying freelance.  This past week, I had a screening with a different agency for freelance work- *fingers crossed,* I should hear back next week.  I feel continually behind, trying to move forward with my career while balancing my personal life with my PCRID and VRID commitments.  I set a goal of re-taking the NIC in order to obtain NIC Advance certification, but do not have a time frame.  My dear friend and colleague has offered to mentor me and help me further develop and hone my interpreting skills.  Honestly, after all my set-backs early this month, I lost momentum.  Now, I need get motivated again and move forward, reaching towards new goals.


On a personal note, two weeks ago, my husband and I had to make the heart-wrenching decision to put our beagle, Mary, to sleep.  In August, we learned that she had liver cancer and we advised against surgery.  We thought we had all this time left with her, yet Mary rapidly declined and we had to make a decision that we weren't ready for.  Fortunately,  I was able to re-schedule my screening (to this past week) and have subs for my classes that I interpret on Thursday and Friday.  Although I missed and work and it caused delays in the application and screening process, I have no regrets.  I am thankfully for the flexibility of the agency and the community college.  I am especially thankful for the interpreters who filled in for me and my team interpreters (who demonstrated compassion and understanding when I needed it the most.  Not only was I able to take care of yourself and family, but to realize that by doing so, the consumers benefited as well.  Emotional and mental presence is as important as physical presence and I knew I could not interpret with my mind elsewhere.

From the bottom of my heart, I do want to thank my family, friends, and colleagues for being there for me when I needed it most.  Your support and encouragement mean the world to me and keeps me moving forward.  I may need a new game plan, but in the meantime life is good and I am pressing on, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment